Monday, July 21, 2008
Thursday, July 10, 2008
Vocabulary Map Vocab:
John F. Kennedy
Mutually Assured Destruction
Nuclear Test Ban Treaty
Cuban Missile Crisis
Duck and Cover Drills
Chinese Civil War
Great Leap Forward
Kim Il Sung
Ho Chi Minh
Ngo Dinh Diem
Gulf of Tonkin
POW's and MIA's
Paris Peace Accord
Hugarian Revolt 1956
1. What was the purpose in forming NATO?
2. What was the goal behind the Truman Doctrine and the Marshall Plan?
3. What were the goals behind NATO and the Warsaw Pact?
4. How did Mao Zedong transform China?
5. What was the Goal of the Cultural Revolution?
6. What role did the U.S. play in the Korean War?
7. How did Vietnam become divided?
8. What was the Khmer Rouge's plan for Cambodia?
9. How was the Cuban Missile Crisis resolved?
10. Why did the USSR invade Afghanistan?
Monday, July 7, 2008
Key term: World War II
Treaty of Versailles
“Rosie the Riveter”
General Erwin Rommel
Franklin Delano Roosevelt
General Dwight D. Eisenhower
General Douglas MacArthur
Battle of Stalingrad
Bataan Death March
Battle for Midway
Battle of the Bulge
Bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki
1. How did the reaction of the League of Nations to the Rape of Nanjing further push nations toward war?
2. How did the Treaty of Versailles help cause WWII?
3. How did the policy of appeasement of the Western democracies empower Hitler?
4. Why were the Western democracies so quick to appease Hitler rather than Stalin?
5. List the acts of German aggression between March 1938 and September of 1939.
6. Which regions were attacked and occupied by the Axis powers?
7. What was life like under German occupation?
8. What were the strengths and weaknesses of Hitler's blitzkrieg?
9. How did Operation Barbarossa change the war?
10. How did Hitler execute his "Final Solution" and what was the final result of his attempt?
11. Why did Japanese leaders target the United States as an enemy?
12. How did the Allies begin to push back the Axis powers on four fronts? (Identify and describe the tactics used on each front.)
13. How did the D-Day invasion mark the beginning of the end for Germany in World War II?
14. What strategy did the Allies use to put Japan on the defensive?
15. What was the Manhattan Project and how did it change the course of the war?
16. What factors besides ending the war in the Pacific might have contributed to President Truman's decision to drop the atomic bomb?
17. What conflicts will emerge between the former Allies at the conclusion of WWII? Why?
Sunday, July 6, 2008
Key Word: Totalitarian States
Homework Questions for Tuesday 7/7 and Wednesday 7/8. This homework is due at the beginning of school on Thursday 7/9.
The Red Scare
The Roaring Twenties
March on Rome
The Great Purge
1. What political and economic challenges did the Western World face in the 1920s and 1930s?
2. How did the United States, the Soviet Union, Italy, Germany and Japan deal with their various political and economic problems?
3. How did scientific discoveries in the 1920s change people’s views of the world?
4. How did the Treaty of Versailles affect the relationship between Britain and France?
5. What was the purpose of the Maginot Line?
6. What was the chief weakness of the Kellogg-Briand Pact?
7. How was Mussolini able to rise to power?
8. How did Mussolini keep control of Italy’s government, economy and people? Provide one example of each.
9. What were the goals and results of Stalin’s Five-Year Plans?
10. What methods did Stalin use to create a totalitarian state?
11. How did Hitler and the Nazi Party establish and maintain a totalitarian government in Germany?
12. Describe the Nazi party’s ideology and Hitler’s plans for ruling Germany and where are many of those plans found?
13. What was the purpose of the Nuremberg Laws and Kristallnacht in Germany?
14. How did the Nazi party maintain control of Germany?
15. Why were ultranationalists in Japan demanding expansion in the 1920s? (p. 412)
16. What were the circumstances surrounding the seizure of Manchuria?
17. Compare and contrast the ideologies of fascism, communism and Nazism.
Wednesday, July 2, 2008
Vocabulary Map Vocabulary:
Treaty of Brest-Litovsk
New Economic Policy or NEP
1. What were the causes of the March revolution?
2. How did the czar's autocratic policies toward the people lead to social unrest?
3. How did Lenin adapt Marxism to conditions in Russia?
4. What were the causes and effects of the civil war in Russia?
5. Why did Lenin compromise between the ideas of capitalism and communism in creating the NEP?
6. How did two revolutions and a civil war bring about communist control of Russia?
7.What started the March revolution?
8. Why did Germany want Lenin to return to Russia in 1917?
9. How did the government and the economy under Lenin differ from "pure" communism?
10. How did WWI help bring about the Russian revolution?