Key Word: Totalitarian States
Homework Questions for Tuesday 7/7 and Wednesday 7/8. This homework is due at the beginning of school on Thursday 7/9.
The Red Scare
The Roaring Twenties
March on Rome
The Great Purge
1. What political and economic challenges did the Western World face in the 1920s and 1930s?
2. How did the United States, the Soviet Union, Italy, Germany and Japan deal with their various political and economic problems?
3. How did scientific discoveries in the 1920s change people’s views of the world?
4. How did the Treaty of Versailles affect the relationship between Britain and France?
5. What was the purpose of the Maginot Line?
6. What was the chief weakness of the Kellogg-Briand Pact?
7. How was Mussolini able to rise to power?
8. How did Mussolini keep control of Italy’s government, economy and people? Provide one example of each.
9. What were the goals and results of Stalin’s Five-Year Plans?
10. What methods did Stalin use to create a totalitarian state?
11. How did Hitler and the Nazi Party establish and maintain a totalitarian government in Germany?
12. Describe the Nazi party’s ideology and Hitler’s plans for ruling Germany and where are many of those plans found?
13. What was the purpose of the Nuremberg Laws and Kristallnacht in Germany?
14. How did the Nazi party maintain control of Germany?
15. Why were ultranationalists in Japan demanding expansion in the 1920s? (p. 412)
16. What were the circumstances surrounding the seizure of Manchuria?
17. Compare and contrast the ideologies of fascism, communism and Nazism.