Homework Questions for Thursday 7/9 through Tuesday 7/14. This homework is due at the beginning of school on Wednesday 7/15.
Key term: World War II
Treaty of Versailles
“Rosie the Riveter”
General Erwin Rommel
Franklin Delano Roosevelt
General Dwight D. Eisenhower
General Douglas MacArthur
Battle of Stalingrad
Bataan Death March
Battle for Midway
Battle of the Bulge
Bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki
1. How did the reaction of the League of Nations to the Rape of Nanjing further push nations toward war?
2. How did the Treaty of Versailles help cause WWII?
3. How did the policy of appeasement of the Western democracies empower Hitler?
4. Why were the Western democracies so quick to appease Hitler rather than Stalin?
5. List the acts of German aggression between March 1938 and September of 1939.
6. Which regions were attacked and occupied by the Axis powers?
7. What was life like under German occupation?
8. What were the strengths and weaknesses of Hitler's blitzkrieg?
9. How did Operation Barbarossa change the war?
10. How did Hitler execute his "Final Solution" and what was the final result of his attempt?
11. Why did Japanese leaders target the United States as an enemy?
12. How did the Allies begin to push back the Axis powers on four fronts? (Identify and describe the tactics used on each front.)
13. How did the D-Day invasion mark the beginning of the end for Germany in World War II?
14. What strategy did the Allies use to put Japan on the defensive?
15. What was the Manhattan Project and how did it change the course of the war?
16. What factors besides ending the war in the Pacific might have contributed to President Truman's decision to drop the atomic bomb?
17. What conflicts will emerge between the former Allies at the conclusion of WWII? Why?