Homework Questions for Wednesday 6/17. This homework is due at the beginning of school on Thursday 6/18.
Vocabulary Map Vocab:
Jean Jacques Rousseau
separation of powers
checks and balances
The Wealth of Nations
Declaration of Independence
Bill of Rights
United States Constitution
1. What effects did Enlightenment philosophers have on government and society?
2. Why might institutions of authority tend to reject new ideas?
3. How did Hobbes and Locke differ in their views on the role of government?
4. Explain the meaning of Voltaire's quote, "I do not agree with a word you say but, will defend to the death your right to say it."
5. Explain separation of powers and checks and balances in relationship to American government.
6. Why was the issue of education so important to Wollstonecraft?
7. Explain, in your own words, Rousseau's social contract theory.
8. In what way were enlightened depots less than true reformers?
9. How did John Locke's enlightened ideas influence the founding fathers?
10. How does the Bill of Rights reflect key enlightenment ideas?
11. Explain the following ideas: Federalism, Separation of Powers, Popular Sovereignty, and Individual Rights?